Inne świetne na zewnątrz
Poleca 136 lokalnych gospodarzy ·
Wskazówki od mieszkańców
Philopappou, or the Hill of the Muses, is one of three forested peaks facing the Acropolis that each played an important role in ancient Athens. The Athenian Assembly met on the Pnyx, while the third was known for a sanctuary dedicated to the Nymphs. These wooded hills cover a total area of some 180…
Filopappou Hill as well as the neighbouring Hill of the Nymphs and Hill of the Pnyx form a large recreational area away from the crowds in the streets below. Be sure to see the Filopappopu mausoleum which is a set of tall ruins. Carved into the hillside is the jail where Socrates was held in…
Filopappou hill is a hill of Athens, located opposite and southwest of the Acropolis. It is connected with the hills of the Observatory (Nymphs hill) and Pnyx. At its top is the monument to Philopappos, erected by the high Philopappos during the Roman period and named after the hill.
Views of Athens & the Acropolis attract hikers to this small peak with an ancient monument.
The Acropolis may be the most famous hill in Athens, but Philopappos Hill isn’t far behind. It also has an ancient history. Ancient Greeks believed the nine muses lived there and eventually named the hill after a monument to Philopappos.
Wyjątkowe sposoby spędzania czasu w okolicy
Miejsca na pobyt w okolicy
Polecane przez mieszkańców
“The Temple of Olympian Zeus, also known as the Olympieion or Columns of the Olympian Zeus, is a former colossal temple at the center of the Greek capital Athens. It was dedicated to "Olympian" Zeus, a name originating from his position as head of the Olympian gods.”
- Poleca 142 lokalnych gospodarzy
“The Acropolis Museum is an archaeological museum focused on the findings of the archaeological site of the Acropolis of Athens. The museum was built to house every artifact found on the rock and on the surrounding slopes, from the Greek Bronze Age to Roman and Byzantine Greece.”
- Poleca 462 lokalnych gospodarzy
“The commercial hub of ancient Athens, the Agora was once lined with statues and expensive shops, the favorite strolling ground of fashionable Athenians as well as a mecca for merchants and students. The long colonnades offered shade in summer and protection from rain in winter to the throng of people who transacted the day-to-day business of the city, and, under their arches, Socrates discussed matters with Plato, and Zeno expounded the philosophy of the Stoics (whose name comes from the six stoas, or colonnades of the Agora). Besides administrative buildings, the schools, theaters, workshops, houses, stores, and market stalls of a thriving town surrounded it. The foundations of some of the main buildings that may be most easily distinguished include the circular Tholos, the principal seat of executive power in the city; the Mitroon, shrine to Rhea, the mother of gods, which included the vast state archives and registry office (mitroon is still used today to mean registry); the Vouleuterion, where the council met; the Monument of Eponymous Heroes, the Agora's information center, where announcements such as the list of military recruits were hung; and the Sanctuary of the Twelve Gods, a shelter for refugees and the point from which all distances were measured. The Agora's showpiece was the Stoa of Attalos II, where Socrates once lectured and incited the youth of Athens to adopt his progressive ideas on mortality and morality. Today the Museum of Agora Excavations, this two-story building was first designed as a retail complex and erected in the 2nd century BC by Attalos, a king of Pergamum. The reconstruction in 1953–56 used Pendelic marble and creamy limestone from the original structure. The colonnade, designed for promenades, is protected from the blistering sun and cooled by breezes. The most notable sculptures, of historical and mythological figures from the 3rd and 4th centuries BC, are at ground level outside the museum. Take a walk around the site and speculate on the location of Simon the Cobbler's house and shop, which was a meeting place for Socrates and his pupils. The carefully landscaped grounds display a number of plants known in antiquity, such as almond, myrtle, and pomegranate. By standing in the center, you have a glorious view up to the Acropolis. Ayii Apostoloi is the only one of the Agora's nine churches to survive, saved because of its location and beauty. A quirky ruin to visit here is the 1st Century AD latrine in the northeastern corner. On the low hill called Kolonos Agoraios in the Agora's northwest corner stands the best-preserved Doric temple in all Greece, the Hephaistion, sometimes called the Thission because of its friezes showing the exploits of Theseus. Like the other monuments, it is roped off, but you can walk around it to admire its preservation. A little older than the Parthenon, it is surrounded by 34 columns and is 104 feet in length, and was once filled with sculptures (the only remnant of which is the mutilated frieze, once brightly colored). It never quite makes the impact of the Parthenon, in large part due to the fact that it lacks a noble site and can never be seen from below, its sun-matured columns towering heavenward. The Hephaistion was originally dedicated to Hephaistos, god of metalworkers, and it is interesting to note that metal workshops still exist in this area near Ifestou Street.”
- Poleca 116 lokalnych gospodarzy
“Its first name for the National Garden until 1974 was "Royal Garden". The park is located next to the Greek Parliament and extends to the south where the Zappeion Palace is located opposite the Panathinaikos Stadium where the first Modern Olympic Games were held in 1896. The National Garden is 15.5 hectares. It is located in the center of Athens and, adding the garden of Zappeion with an area of 13 hectares, the park has an area of 28.5 hectares, ie a total of 285 acres. The garden houses ancient ruins, columns, mosaics, etc. At its southeastern end are the busts of Ioannis Kapodistrias, the great Philelina Eynardos, while at its southern end is the bust of the national poet Dionysios Solomos and Aristotle.”
- Poleca 286 lokalnych gospodarzy
“One of the greatest museums in the world with the richest collection of Greek artefacts from neolithic to classical times.Construction began in 1866 to a design by Ludwig Lange and was completed in 1889 by Ernst Ziller.It’s one of the world’s top collections of Greek antiquities and certainly the richest, with the 11,000 items on permanent display comprising just half of the museum’s holdings.With some 8,000 square metres of exhibition space, it’s hard to take in this panorama of Greek civilisation and achievement in a single visit. So it’s best to either stick to the most celebrated exhibits or focus on a single gallery or theme. Must-see: There is so much not to miss that this truly depends on your interests. The ‘Mask of Agamemnon’, the Santorini frescoes, the bronze Zeus or Poseidon and the ‘Jockey of Artemision’ are among the most popular exhibits. ”
- Poleca 278 lokalnych gospodarzy